I’m often asked what I mean by Dating Like a Grownup. It’s obviously a great question that I probably should answer every so often. (I am, after all, the CEO of Date Like a Grownup!)
I’m going to give you my definition, and then I’m going to tell you about a great book I’ve read that does a terrific job of discussing dating and love for grownups.
To me, dating like a grownup means taking responsibility for your own happiness. It means getting past the men suck/I-have-no-control-over-this part-of-my-life nonsense. It means approaching men, dating and relationships with consciousness; allowing you to balance your heart and your head.
Some key ingredients to dating like a grownup:
- Understanding that your happiness comes first, and the rest of the good stuff will follow.
- Staying open to new information and new experiences no matter your age.
- Taking some risks.
- Making decisions that are good for you in the long term and not giving in to short-term pleasure or ego-driven choices.
- Maintaining perspective. (18-year-olds have none; 50-year-olds have tons; we just sometimes forget to apply it to our dealings with men.)
- Investing in yourself to become your best You, knowing this is what attracts the best men.
- Showing kindness; both to yourself and the people you meet.
- Learning to receive graciously and accepting others’ support.
- Keeping your eyes on the prize and not giving up or giving in.
Whew! That’s off the top of my head, but I think that covers a lot of it.
Your grownup girl shows up in all other parts of your life, right? She is lurking. Waiting to also control your love life. You just have to grab her, give her a big hug and GO FOR LOVE!
If you’re like me and almost every woman I’ve helped find love, you have a long list of things holding you back. If you want to pinpoint what’s standing in your way so you can start getting it the hell out, read this article: Wondering Why Can’t I Find Love? Here are 47 Things Standing in Your Way.
And, if you’re like me and so many other women, you need help getting past your landmines and roadblocks. You can learn about how I can lead you to love like I have hundreds of other women right here. And see other success stories from women just like you right here.
“Enough Said” is a wonderful movie that portrays “grownup dating” beautifully. Although it’s about “grownup dating”, I’m not sure they were truly “dating like grownups”.