When I was single I had a love-hate relationship with weekends. Yay! I didn’t have to wake up by that horrid alarm, go to work and then be forced to spend 8 (sometimes more) hours with people I’d never want to go have a drink with if my life depended on it.
On the other hand, weekends always reminded me of my super-single-ness. One by one would go by without even a date. Or I’d have a date that lasted an hour and sucked. That just seemed to make me feel worse.(You know…another one bites the dust.)
I did go out with my girlfriends. Hanging with the married ones accentuated my feelings of loneliness and failure. When I was with my single friends we went shopping or sat around and ate; talking about work and eventually…men.
We talked about our lack of men, our crappy last date, the men who got away, when we were going to give up and…of course, what jerks they are.
Sound familiar at all?
Now I can look back as a blissfully married lady and see how unconstructive – even destructive – that was. I’m sure I could have been doing things that were more fun, fed my soul, made me laugh and, yes…brought me closer to finding a good guy to spend time with.
Remember: you don’t have to be in the presence of a man to be one step closer to finding The One. Doing things that make you feel good about yourself and enhance your life are essential to this process. Generous, happy, well-rounded women attract generous, happy, well-rounded men.
Today I want to share with you a list of things I think I shoulda/coulda/woulda done if I were still single. Pick a few. Then do ’em. Tell me how it goes, okay?
You have my love and support (and I’m not just saying that!),
25 Things to Do This Weekend
1. Volunteer in your community helping children, saving the planet, rescuing animals, beautifying your city…tons of people need you.
2. Have a chick-date with a new friend.
3. Go on a cheap weekend getaway.
4. Go to a department store makeup section and get a free makeover .
5. Buy a new dress and pair of sandals. (Summer is almost over!)
6. Go to a singles event or place to meet a new girlfriend (Google “[your city] singles” or go to Meetup.com.
7. Go to a wine-tasting event – they have those all over now.
8. Visit the art, science, history, car, plant museum.
9. Go to a seminar or lecture to learn more about yourself and/or men.
10. Go to the local library, check out a book you’ve been meaning to read, and make goo-goo eyes at all the smart men.
11. Call or email the guy who got away. (All he can say is “no.”)
12. Organize and conduct a car wash to raise money for the local schools. (They need it!)
13. Plant a garden, or just a few flowers.
14. Get that massage you’ve been talking about. (These days there are ways to get pretty reasonably priced ones.)
15. Have a picnic and read a book at the park. (Preferably one that will give you some new dating skills. Hey! How about my eBook.)
16. Learn to paddleboard, bowl, golf or some other sport you’ve been talking about doing.
17. Organize a Parcheesi or poker party and have everyone bring one guest – male or female; they’re all fun.
18. Take a bike ride.
19.Get online and don’t get off until you connected with 10 men in some way. (wink, email, 20.favorite…whatever)
Go to the local big book store, find a book and read it there. (And make goo-goo eyes at all the smart men.)
21. Ask a man out on a date. (Yah, really…just do it.)
22. Take a class. (Dance, Spanish, wine tasting, floral arrangement come to mind.)
23. Go to the beach, mountains or some other scenic area, paint, draw or just observe the beauty alone or with a friend.
24. Try a new restaurant, but make it out of your area, and then go have a drink.
25. Offer to walk someone’s dog, watch their child while they do something fun, or shop for your elderly neighbor.
P.S.: This was just part of a newsletter I sent to my spectacular community last week. Are you signed up to get my meaty, juicy newsletter? Get in on it, and get my FREE eBook by clicking here. Go on…do it now.